Friday, March 09, 2007

Junk food of the week: Tuna donut

Between Sidoarjo, the quake, and the crash, Chad and I have put in a series of really long days. I'm feeling pretty wiped out as I sit here this Friday morning. So here's a subject commensurate with my mental powers: the tuna donut!


This was not exactly a donut, to be fair; I guess it was some kind of dumpling. But the breading was sweet and fried. Inside was spiced tuna, possibly smoked tuna. It was OK, certainly edible, but a little unsettling. Like one of those marriages that makes you think, How did these people end up together?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's known as panada, which is a specialty of North Sulawesi. I think it originates from empanada, which is a Spanish delicacy. There has been a very close link between North Sulawesi and Mindanao in the Philippines, so the Spanish influence is understandable.

Trish said...

Fair enough. I just don't get why the outside part is sugary. Same thing with the crepes you can buy at the mall: even the pepperoni pizza kind will come with a sweet crepe.

That being said, Manadonese food is maybe my favorite Indonesian cuisine. Love those papaya flower dishes ... and all the tasty fish.