Sunday, November 12, 2006
Sepuluh ribu rupiah
I was going to say the 10,000 (sepuluh ribu) rupiah note is my favorite denomination of Indonesian currency. Then in the process of tracking down this picture I discovered that the 10,000 used to have a picture of a woman on it, and they recently replaced her with a man. Humph!
Still, I like the funky purpleness of the 10,000, and with a value of just over a dollar, it's quite handy. A 10,000 will get you:
- Nearly 2 loaves of bread
- A taxi to my office
- 2 papayas
- 2 cans of Diet Coke from the Jakarta Post minimart
- A dinner of chicken, rice and vegetables at a warung
- An avocado juice (i.e. blenderized sweetened avocado - tasty)
- 4 rides on the #66 bus to Plaza Semanggi
- 5 rides to the market on the ancient three-wheeled vehicles on BenHil Street
- Several small bottles of Yakult sweetened fermented milk - good for the digestive system, which can always use a little TLC. I'm not sure what the headstands are about, though.