Monday, November 05, 2007

More ghosts

John, our neighbor on the third floor, came up with this rather awesome pocong (POH-chong) costume for a Halloween party. He was wearing some kind of traditional wooden mask but I don't think that part lasted long, because he could only see out the mouth.

Pocongs are wrapped in death shrouds, so they have a big bow on top of their heads. Their feet are bound so they have to hop everywhere, which undercuts the scariness for me but apparently not for people who've grown up with pocong stories.

According to wikipedia, pocongs arise from the belief that souls remain on the earth for 40 days after death. Some souls get trapped in their shrouds, so after the forty days they start hopping around looking for somebody to untie them. I'm guessing they have a hard time finding volunteers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks pretty darn scary!

did he hop around at all?

mr_john said...

How dare you doubt me? I kept the damn thing on all night. It was incredibly hot, and my peripheral vision was very limited (causing more than one collision), but one must suffer for one's art musn't one?

I met a few people that night who have no idea what I look like. All of the people who knew me guessed who it was though...

And yes, I did hop.

Unknown said...

That's a great costume! What fun meeting new people while you are in dress - the possibilities that such anonymity may allow...good for you for keeping it on all night long.

Trish said...

He didn't hop for us, M, but apparently he went party-hopping ... heh ...

Wow, John, I'm impressed! I would've ditched that thing after ten minutes. Furthermore, if you're looking through the mouth, then what are you drinking beer with?

mr_john said...

Drinking did involve some balance and acrobatics I must say, which became increasingly difficult the more I drank. I did ok though...

mr_john said...

Huh... Apparently, without knowing it the costume was pretty accurate. Check out the promo poster for Pocong II:
http://wayangmalaysia.wordpress.com/2007/06/07/pocong-2-2006/