Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Junk food of the week: Biskuit Kelapa


Biskuit Kelapa are crunchy little coconut-flavored cookies. They are comfort food: uncomplicated, pleasant, but not so addictive that you're in danger of eating the whole box. They taste a bit like Sea 'n Ski suntan lotion, but in a good way.

Bintang mug shown for size comparison

As you may have noticed on the package, Biskuit Kelapa are fortified with vitamins. A lot of cookies are marketed as a nutrition supplement here, especially for kids. There are TV ads showing kids eating cookies and then leaping impossible distances or facing down tigers or whatever. I wouldn't mind, as long as the cookie companies were required to buy an equal number of ads showing kids doing miraculous feats after eating broccoli or spinach. Unfortunately, my Equal Time for Vegetables bill has not yet been passed by any legislature in the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love coconut and I love cookies, and unfortunately I'm reading this while hungry, so now I'm drooling.

the suntan lotion part doesn't sound as appealing as you'd think, though.

Trish said...

Really? Reminds me of those week-long trips to the Outer Banks when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

Do people really drink beer out of coffee cups over there, or is that Bintang mug for drinking coffee when you wish you were having a beer instead?

Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't eat any Sea 'n Ski on those Outer Banks trips. Sand fleas or seaweed, maybe, but not Sea 'n Ski.

Trish said...

I don't really get the idea of a coffee mug for beer, either. Maybe it's for drinking coffee the morning after you've had too much beer? They were giving them out free every time you bought six cans of beer at Ramayana last Chinese New Year, so of course I had to get some. We'll probably drink out of them until the end of time, like those free gas-station water glasses Mom and Dad used to have.

As for Sea and Ski, I guess it's not so much the taste as the smell. As I recall from eating Pop Tarts or whatever with that stuff on my hands, it doesn't taste too good.

You ate sand fleas??

Bob said...

Your equal-time-for-vegetables line got a laughing-out-loud response from me. bv