Saturday, May 15, 2010

Eggsicles


I've seen a lot of things roasted on sticks since I've been in Southeast Asia: chicken intestines, bugs, whole squid, etc. But eggs, complete with the shell? That was a new one on me.


They were at the night market near Chiang Mai's southern gate. Chad ate some porky Tom Yum soup, and I just got a soda water because I had an unhappy stomach. But we saw these as we were leaving, and with my love for hard-boiled eggs and my other love for things on sticks, I couldn't pass them up.


Back in our room (that's our scratchy hotel blanket in the background), we peeled them cautiously. They turned out to be smoky-tasting, as you would expect, with a brownish-yellow hue and with a surprisingly velvety texture, like custard. There seemed to be hardly any difference between the yolk and the white, as if they were dissolving into each other.

I figure the eggs must be boiled before roasting, but I'm still perplexed as to how they acquire that texture. A quick Google search yielded no answers. Anybody out there know?

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Wah these look cool. Do you think they put the sticks in before or after cooking? Maybe if its before, that's how the yolk gets kind of mixed... and maybe some of the water gets inside the egg as well while its boiling because of the stick hole, giving it the strange texture? Almost a little like Singaporean/Malaysian coffee shop soft boiled egg? Dunno. Cool though. :)

Trish said...

That's what I can't figure out -- seems like if they put the sticks through the raw eggs then the yolks would break and totally mix with the whites. But maybe they don't, since the shell isn't broken. The water theory seems promising.

Definitely cool, and, on further investigation, even more delicious with the addition of some dried chilis :)