Friday, May 19, 2006

Wardrobe enhancement


It's been a momentous week: I finally acquired a second pair of pants!

I had worn my pair of basic black Old Navies for 67 straight days.* I had to conserve on clothes when I packed so I could bring 53,000 audio/video cables of every description that I'll probably never need. Say what you want about Old Navy, including that they have really annoying commercials, but those pants wore like iron (and are still going strong).

I had to take my new pants to a tailor to be shortened. This guy has a little shop in the Palmerah marketplace, right by work. He whipped out the tape measure, started cutting, and was done in 15 minutes, for the massive sum of 65 cents. Plus he put up with my bad Indonesian and let me take his picture. Now that's a deal.

I'm gonna get my next pair of pants, someday, from one of the bicycling jeans guys. They ride around on bikes with sewing machines mounted on them, and a little sign that says "Levi's." A moving copyright violation! They make them to order, which is the only way I'll ever get Levi's to fit my butt.

*Yes I've been washing them. Everything dries overnight here ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! old navy pants always dissolved like so much sweetener on my lower trunks. i'm pleased that they came through in the clutch for you.

today we salute the beemstress with a little pickanick basket in bryan park. i believe it will end with water balloon and creampie warfare...

Trish said...

Yes, the creative goodbye-parties seem to be flourishing since you guys sent me and Chad off with the ice-skating bash! I hope you had fun. We're excited about having Nicole as our secret agent deep inside that shadowy network known as NPR.