Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sad news from home

We were stunned and so sad to hear that a former WFIU colleague died in a plane crash in Indiana. I really admired Robert Samels' creative energy - this is a guy who, at age 24, composed an opera about Pontius Pilate partly during the few minutes he had in between doing the local announcements on "Morning Edition." Chad and I went to see the opera, and were really impressed - it was funny, sad, deeply human, and beautifully musical. Robert was typically low-key when I complimented him, and gave a lot of credit to his co-writer. I know his loss is really being felt at WFIU, and it's a loss to the future of classical music as well.

3 comments:

jakers said...

you are lovely and poetic and i appreciate your words more than you know. i wish we could exchange hugs, but this will have to do. forgive me, i'm amidst the watching of pride & prejudice and have adopted their tone. we will be largely out of contact as we travel to italy apr 30 - may 12. i would love to write more. you are in our thoughts. thank you for your words again. mr. darcy's a wanker.

kopisusu2 said...

Just wait. He gets better. Are you watching the one with Colin Firth? He's my dream Darcy (other than Chad of course).

Wish I could give you a hug too. I know it's an especially painful loss for you. It seems very unfair for someone so bright, talented, energetic, and kind to have so little time here.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»