Thursday, February 16, 2006

grants and anti-grants


The other day I went to a grantwriting workshop, figuring this would broaden our possibilities in Jakarta. The workshop was held in a shiny hotel plunked down into the middle of what had once been cornfields in Central Indiana. You could look out the window and see nothing but flatness traversed by a superhighway, and in one corner the intruding shape of a Walmart being built. Luckily for me, there weren't any windows in the conference room, or I would have stared at the ghost corn all day.

Next to me at the table was a retired woman who seemed very nice. She was writing a grant to get tasers for her local police department. I immediately started dreaming up grants to take the tasers away from her local police department. Not that I have anything against the police; I just think tasers are evil.

Despite this rather gloomy start to the workshop, I ended up kind of excited about grants. They might be a way to do a longer project, something a little less newsy and more cultural. I will have to stop being a baby about paperwork, and learn how to invent convincing budget numbers. But that seems possible. Stranger things have happened. Like people giving up their tasers. Wait, that hasn't happened yet? Hmm, I'd better get working.

No comments: